Saturday, March 22, 2014

Homemade Chocolate Syrup (1 version for kids, 1 for adults)


I don't know how it is, but I've always loved the taste of cocoa much better than full-on chocolate. Maybe it's deeper and more complex. I've been thinking about making my own chocolate syrup for a few days now and finally did it today. This couldn't be simpler--just 5 minutes with ingredients you probably have on hand.  You also get to control the sweetness here and it's virtually fat free. I like the version with alcohol best--of course I would! 

Ingredients:
1 cup good quality Dutch processed cocoa powder
1 cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
1 cup of water
1 teaspoon vanilla

For adults only:
1 jigger coffee flavored liqueur (like Kahlua®)
1 jigger Crème de Cacao

Directions: In a large saucepan, whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar and salt. Slowly whisk in the water and cook over medium heat until the sugar completely dissolves (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.

Now, pour half into a container and refrigerate for the younger set. Me, I’m feeling like an adult today (which doesn’t happen often) so I’m adding a shot of Kahlua and a shot of Crème de Cacao into the other half. Or, maybe it is all for me and I’ll use two shots of each. Store in the refrigerator up to two weeks.


Stir a few teaspoons of that into your milk! 

No comments:

Post a Comment