Sunday, January 7, 2018

Baked Grecian Style Lentil Falafels


I had some leftover, cooked brown lentils and wanted to use them. I also love any kind of veggie patty—Boca, Gardein, chickpea based falafel, black bean burgers- I love them all. I also love Greek seasoning, so I thought I would put all of those things together and I have to say, I really do love these warm little bites. They are slightly crisp on the outside (but not too much because I didn’t want to fry. You totally can, though). They are also very soft and tender on the inside with so much flavor!

Ingredients (makes about 16 patties):
2 cups cooked lentils, any kind
1/3 cup chopped onion
2 garlic cloves
2 Tablespoons egg substitute (or 1 egg, or mix 1 Tablespoon ground flax seed with 2 Tablespoons warm water and let sit in the fridge for 15 minutes)
1/3 cup fresh parsley
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
¼ cup flour, any kind (I’m using garbanzo bean flour)
1-2 teaspoons Greek seasoning

Sauce:
1/3 cup hummus
1 Tablespoon warm water
1 teaspoon lemon juice

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.

Put the lentils, onion, garlic, egg substitute, parsley, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a food processor and pulse until combined. Add the flour and pulse until it forms a dough and starts to pull away from the sides of the processor bowl. Check the taste and adjust seasonings to your liking.

Scoop about ¼ cup balls onto the baking sheets and bake for 20 minutes.

Make the sauce by just stirring the hummus, water and lemon juice together.

Serve the falafels with sauce, tomatoes, cucumber, fresh onion slices, pita bread, whatever.



1 comment: