Saturday, June 10, 2017

Umami Grilled Vegetables with Goat Cheese



I love anything savory—give me deep, savory flavors over sweets any time. I came across Trader Joes® Umami Stir-in Paste and Condiment last week. It’s made with tomato paste, red wine vinegar, parmesan, black olives, anchovies, garlic and mushrooms and I wanted to find a use for it soon. Pairing the umami paste with charred veggies and goat cheese is a winner for me.

Ingredients (serves 3 as a main dish):
Marinade:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 teaspoons umami paste (I used Trader Joes®)
¼ cup warm water

Veggies:
1 zucchini, cut into lengthwise planks
1 medium Vidalia onion, cut into ¼ inch slices
2 cups whole mushrooms (any kind)
1 bell pepper (any color-I used orange), cut into strips
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Other:
3 to 4 ounces goat cheese
Fresh, coarsely ground black pepper
A bit of fresh parsley for garnish

Directions:
Make the marinade by combining the olive oil, umami paste and warm water.

Preheat grill to medium high heat.

Lay cut veggies on a foil lined baking sheet and drizzle the marinade over all the veggies, tossing until all the veggies are coated. Sprinkle with kosher salt.

Grill the veggies (I used a disposable grill topper to make sure the veggies didn’t fall through the grill) for about 4 to 6 minutes per side, or until slightly charred on all sides.

Remove the veggies back to the baking sheet and toss with any remaining marinade. Plate each portion, putting some of the goat cheese, black pepper and parsley on each.


No comments:

Post a Comment