Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Healthy Zucchini Banana Spice Muffins (gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free)




I was craving something cake-like, but I didn’t really want cake. I wanted a nice, moist muffin. And I had zucchini. I thought maybe I could hit my craving where it counts and still have something healthy. These are a bit like a dense, moist, spice cake and really knocked my cravings out of the park.

Ingredients (makes 9 muffins):
2 pitted Medjool dates
1 Tablespoon ground flax seed
1/3 cup warm water
½ cup natural applesauce
1 ripe banana, mashed
¼ cup coconut oil, softened but not liquefied
1 cup brown rice flour
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
A good few gratings of fresh nutmeg
2 cups grated zucchini

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 9 cups of a regular sized 12 cup muffin tin with parchment cupcake liners and set aside.

In a Nutri Bullet, Ninja processor or just a good, strong regular blender, combined the dates, flax seed and warm water. Pulse until you get a thin paste.

In a large mixing bowl, using electric beaters (or a stand mixer with the paddle attachment-which is what I used), combine the date mixture, applesauce, banana and coconut oil. Mix on medium until thoroughly combined. Add the flours, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Throw the zucchini in and give it another go.

Divide the muffin batter evenly between your 9 lined muffin cups and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Let cool slightly and enjoy a lovely, warm treat.










No comments:

Post a Comment